Give Mum the perfect excuse to put her feet up with a cuppa this Mother’s Day by baking her a delicious cherry sponge. This tasty cake will make the perfect sweet treat for any lovely Mum or Grandma, and the recipe is so quick and easy that it’s ideal for baking with the kids.
If you’re lucky she might even save you a slice!
Baker’s Shopping List
200g glacé cherries
175g butter (room temperature)
175g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
175g plain flour
½ level teaspoon baking powder
75g ground almonds
A few drops of almond extract
1 dessertspoon milk
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
2. Grease and line an 18cm round cake tin.
3. Prepare the cherries. Remove any excess syrup by patting dry with kitchen paper, then slice each cherry into four.
4. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the whisked eggs little by little.
5. Sift the flour and baking powder together. Carefully fold this into the creamed mixture.
6. Mix two thirds of the cherries with the ground almonds and fold these into the cake, adding one or two drops of almond extract and the milk.
7. Spoon the cake mix into the prepared tin. Level the top with the back of a spoon then sprinkle over the remaining cherries. Poke them down a little so they are just beneath the surface.
8. Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 60 minutes or until the centre is springy to the touch.
9. Cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
Then simply slice, serve and enjoy! Happy baking, and Happy Mother’s Day to all you lovely Mums out there 🙂View All Blog Posts