What could be better to get you in the festive mood than the delicious taste of homemade gingerbread? Don’t worry if you’re not a baker, our recipe is super easy to follow and perfect for baking with the kids. You could even make a batch as a Christmas present – if you can bear to share them that is!
Baker’s Shopping List
350g/12oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
1 free-range egg
4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- 2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon together and pour into a bowl.
- 3. Rub in the butter until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- 4. Stir in the egg and golden syrup to make a firm dough.
- 5. Knead the dough until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. This helps your biscuits retain their shape in the oven.
- 6. Roll the dough out to about 5mm thick and cut out your gingerbread men. Don’t worry if you don’t have a gingerbread man cutter, as stars, hearts and other shapes will taste just as good.
- 7. Bake for 12-15 minutes until your gingerbread is golden brown.
- 8. Leave your biscuits to firm up on the tray for a few minutes before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- 9. You can decorate your gingerbread with icing if you like, or enjoy them as they are – the choice is yours.
Ta-dah! Tasty gingerbread everyone will love. Pop the kettle on, put your feet up and tuck into your very own homemade festive treat. Enjoy!View All Blog Posts