What is a Photo Book?
It’s simple really; a photo book is a photo album you make online. Choose a size and paper type, then upload your pictures and customise each page with backgrounds, text, clip art and frames. With a photo book it’s easy to put your personality onto every page. Anything goes, so you can make your book your way. We’ve put together this guide to help you make a custom photo book that showcases your photos to their very best.
How to create a high quality custom photo book
The key to a project that truly showcases your photos? It’s all in the details. From book shape and size through to paper type, and even finishing touches like embossing, there are so many ways to create a book you’ll love to share. Learn all about your options and which to choose for your project.
Choose your photo book size
The first step to creating your personalised photo book is picking the right format. When you create your book with CEWE, there are nine to choose from, in a range of different sizes and orientations:
- Pocket: Our smallest option, this format is perfect as a little memento of a short trip or birthday party. Note: It’s only available as a softcover option – for a more durable cover, take a look at some of our larger sizes.
- Small: Want to make a creative book but don’t have tonnes of time to spare? Our small format is fully customisable and the perfect size for a personalised stocking filler.
- Small Landscape: Our smallest size available with a hard cover option. Choose our small landscape format when you want to showcase your smartphone landscape photography at its best. It’s also perfect for baby books and story books for children.
- Square: Need to display both landscape and portrait photos in your book? Our square format gives you the versatility to do just that. Ideal for travel guides, Instagram photos, and close-up baby photography.
- Large Portrait: Want to get even more creative with your project? A large portrait book will give you plenty of room to creatively style and display your best photos. A great choice for yearbooks, cookbooks and creative portrait photography.
- Large Landscape: Our customers’ favourite choice – and it’s easy to see why. Our large landscape format is perfect for creating a personalised photobook that can be treasured, year after year. Choose this option for travel photography, wedding albums and to show off your very best landscape shots.
- XL Square: A coffee table staple. This is the ideal choice if you’re looking to create a professional custom photo book to really show off your work.
- XXL Portrait: For that extra special project, our XXL Portrait format gives you more than enough room to flex your creative muscles. Pick this option for artists’ portfolios (choose true matte paper), wedding books and anniversary gifts.
- XXL Landscape: Breathtaking landscape photos? Professional nature photography? Panoramic shots? If these are your forté, our XXL landscape format is the best way to bring your photos to life in stunning detail. Top tip: Choose a layflat binding for seamless panoramas.
Explore our full range to find the perfect book.
Choose your paper type
Want to create a high quality custom photo book? The paper type you choose matters just as much as the size. Here’s how to choose the right one for your project:
- Classic Paper (200 gsm): A versatile option that works for just about any project. It’s also available for all sizes of CEWE book.
- High Gloss Paper (200 gsm): A rich, glossy finish that will really bring out vibrant colours in your photos. It’s also sturdy and easily cleaned. Choose for colourful photography and books for children.
- True Matte Paper (160 gsm): A velvety smooth, shine-free finish makes our True Matte Paper perfect for artistic books, professional portfolios and black and white photography.
- Classic Photographic Paper (300 gsm): The choice for photography aficionados. Because our photographic papers are produced using traditional wet photography development, you get a truly professional finish that’s ideal for wedding books, portrait photography and professional books.
- Gloss Photographic Paper (300 gsm): Unparalleled colour vibrancy. That’s what you’ll discover when you opt for our gloss photographic paper. It’s the perfect choice for landscape and travel photography.
- Matte Photographic Paper (300 gsm): The elegant, subdued finish of this paper makes it an excellent choice for artistic books. The traditional photographic development process means that the most minute details of your photos are reproduced to stunning effect.
Top tip: Not all paper types are available for all book sizes and formats. Compare our full range to check which size books are available with your chosen paper.
Choose your custom photo book cover
Once you’ve picked your book format and your paper type, it’s time to start getting creative with covers. Here’s what to keep in mind when choosing your cover option:
- Booklet: Staple-bound like a brochure, our most spritely cover option is still fully customisable. A great choice for smaller projects and thoughtful gifts.
- Softcover: A lightweight, flexible option that’s still fully customisable and durable enough to withstand wear and tear. Great for children’s picture books or books you’ll be carrying around to share with loved ones.
- Hardcover: Our most popular cover type. A hardcover gives your project the look and feel of a real book. It’s fully customisable with your own images, text and other design elements – and the only cover type available with our elegant embossing.
- Faux Leather: The perfect choice for recapturing the look and feel of a traditional leather-bound photo album. An excellent option for wedding albums and yearbooks.